The pain in head makes us forget everything else. All that you can think of will be on how to get rid of this pain. No matter mild or severe, Headache is always a concern.
Headache or cephalalgia is the pain you can feel in and around head or neck. A Headache that we get is not the pain in brain. Brain tissues are not pain sensitive. Headache is the pain caused due to problem with pain responsive tissues or structures around brain.
Headache can be on one side or both sides of the head. It can also be at one particular region and then slowly start moving to another. You can experience mild or sharp or excruciating pain. Headaches can come suddenly or gradually and it can be there for very little time to several days.
Headache is a pain without any particular pattern. It can happen more often or even every day to some people. Headache can be due to increase in blood pressure, sleeplessness, sinusitis, hunger, stress, physical strain, anemia, strain in eye, etc. In general when a person has Headache there is only pain in head, while in others it can also cause eyes to water or bleeding from nose or dizziness depending on body energy which is irritated.
People with Headache don’t try to find out the exact reason or cause for it, instead try to rush to a chemist and takes some painkillers to have temporary freedom from pain. Ayurveda on other hand believes in finding the exact reason for Headache and tries to provide a permanent solution for it. The natural ingredients that are used for treatment in ayurveda includes essential oils like sandalwood, jasmine, coconut, eucalyptus, cinnamon, clove, cardamom, etc. These oils are very effective in relieving Headache.
There are some simple and natural home remedies that you can try at home to get relief from Headache. They are;
- In 1 cup warm water, dip 1 green tea bag to prepare decoction. To this add the juice of 1/2 lemon. Mix them well and drink it to get instant relief.
- Take the rind of 2-3 lemons. Chop and pound them to make a paste. Apply this paste on forehead to get instant relief.
- Make a paste of 2 tablespoon cinnamon powder with little water. Apply this paste on temple and forehead for relief.
- Drinking 1 glass watermelon juice with 1 teaspoon sugar can provide relief from Headache due to heat.
- Take 1 glass water and mix 1 teaspoon honey. Have this every morning empty stomach to treat unrelieved Headaches.
- Drink plenty of water to get relief from Headache due to dehydration. Drink one big glass of water when pain starts and keep sipping water very often throughout day. There will be gradual decrease in pain.
- Try to sleep to rest your body if Headache is due to Sleeplessness. Sleep in a quiet, dark room so you can get a sound sleep.
- Massaging scalp, neck and ear lobes can help relieve the pain.
- Try to do some relaxation techniques that can help relieve pain. Meditation, deep breathing, prayer, listening to pleasant music, etc. can help you feel relaxed. If it helps you to sleep it is more beneficial.
- Applying a paste of ground clay or sandalwood powder mixed with rose water can help in relieving burning sensation.
- Take 1/4 teaspoon of clove powder and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon oil. Mix this well and apply this paste for 20-30 min.
- Try to avoid too much exposure of head in hot or cold climate. Use an umbrella or cover your head with hat.
- Try to avoid sitting for work for long duration. Instead take short breaks.
- Try to avoid eating yogurt at night.
- Try to eat easily digestible food in dinner. Do not eat too much or try not eating very little or skipping your meals.
- Take some dry caraway seeds and roast them. Take a soft cloth or muslin and wrap up this powder to sniff.
- Take 2 teaspoons powdered cinnamon and 1 1/2 cup of milk. Mix them well and keep it for boiling for 1 or 2 min. Add 1 teaspoon honey to it and drink twice a day.
- Try eating chopped apple with little salt sprinkled on it every morning for 1 week.
- Massage your head with rosemary oil or mint oil for relief.
- Ginger is known for its anti inflammatory properties and hence preparing a tea with it can provide relief from Headache. Take some tea leaves and add a small piece of fresh ginger to 1 glass water. Allow this to boil to become decoction. Strain it and drink it.
- Lavender oil can give instant relief. Take lavender oil and apply it on forehead. You can also add 2-4 drops of lavender oil to 3 cups boiling water. Inhale the vapors for good relief.
- You can smell basil leaves as basil leaves have a strong smell that is helpful in relaxing muscles.
- Add 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar to 1/2 cup water. Allow it to boil and then inhale the steam.
- Prepare soup and add some pepper to it. Drink it hot to clear nasal blockage and thus relieving Headache due to it.
- Try to keep hot or cold compress on head and neck for instant relief.
- Try to go for daily walk or simple exercises during pregnancy to prevent Headaches.
Drink lot of water, fresh juices and other beverages that do not contain caffeine. Eat a healthy non fatty meal. Along with your diet try to manage your stress and do some simple basic exercises to keep your body fit and fine. These simple home remedies can also help you from Headache. If you notice that the pain is persistent and not reducing, kindly consult a doctor for proper examination.
You may also like..
Disclaimer : Ayurveda treatment is hugely based on body type, hence physical check up is necessary by an experienced and qualified Ayurvedic doctor for proper medicine prescription.We strongly suggest that all kind of Ayurvedic medicines and/or herbs should be taken under supervision of a qualified Ayurvedic doctor only. Ayurvedic medicines and herbs are natural, hence have least side effects when taken in controlled dosages.But we suggest you not to take any chance by treating yourself to regret later.
Contents of this site should be used for reference purpose only.