Vertigo is a condition in which a person loses control over his body movement and most of the time feels sensation of lightheadedness, dizziness and imbalance. Although vertigo cannot be defined as a chronic condition, the person needs support from others. He always gets a feeling that all objects are moving around him and will fall if he tries to move. The nausea has been always a predecessor in most of the vertigo cases.
In Ayurved, Vertigo is termed as ‘Brahma’, a condition where vitiated pitta combined with vitiated vata makes one feel like spinning.
Causes of Vertigo
Vertigo is mainly caused due to digestion disorder and gas formation, due to ear disease caused by fluid imbalance in the ear, distorted eye sight, nervous system disorder, migraine attack, blood circulation trouble, incompetent sexual activity, frequent epilepsy attacks, lack of sleep, brain tumor, utter fatigue etc. All these may attribute to the cause of vertigo but most prominent reasons behind vertigo are diseases affecting inner ear.
Recommended Ayurvedic treatment
The Ayurvedic treatments recommended for treating vertigo are:
- Patient suffering from vertigo can get relief if he/she consumes a mixture of ‘Duralabha Quath’ of about 50 ml along with ghee twice a day.
- Amla extract or juice with ‘Suvarna Sootashekhar Ras’ about 50-60 mg can be taken twice to reduce the effects of vertigo.
- A mixture of about 10 ml each of Saraswatarishta and Ashwagandharishta mixed with about 20 ml of water can be consumed twice daily for effective relief.
- A mixture of 100 to 250 ml of milk and powdered shankhapushpi about 1 to 2 gm is quite effective in dealing with the condition when taken twice a day.
- Panchkarma treatment like ‘Shirodhara’ is also quite effective.
- In case you are also suffering from constipation, take about 6 gm of amaltas with haritaki decoction during bed time at night.
- If the cause of the vertigo is insomnia, then taking about 10ml of Ashwagandharishta or about ½ tsp of its powder with water is also effective.
- Taking about 120 gm of Yogendra Ras with milk is also effective in providing relief.
Home remedies that are effective against vertigo
There are several home remedies defined in Ayurveda that are effective in treating vertigo. Let’s have a look at some of the best home remedies for vertigo.
Keep about 1 teaspoon of dried amla and coriander seeds soaked in water for a whole night. Strain the mixture, add some sugar and drink it in the next morning. Repeat the process for few consecutive dates.
Heat about 2 tsp of Til (sesame oil) oil and mix them in half tsp each of finely ground or powered cinnamon and cardamom. Apply the oil mixture on your head.
Make a mixture of almond about 8 pieces with some (about 8 pieces) seeds of pumpkin along with 3 tsp of wheat. Soak the mixture in water for the whole night. Next morning, remove the outer skin of the almonds and grind the almond into fine paste. Heat about 2 tsp of ghee and fry about half tsp of cloves into it. Add the paste to the ghee-clove and boil the whole mixture. Add some sugar to make it sweet (if required) and consume the mixture in the next few days.
The herbs generally used for treating Vertigo are Vacha (Acorus Calamus), Giloy (Tinospora Cordifolia), Yavasa (Alhagi pseudalbagi), Pitpapda (Fumaria Officinalis), Sariva (Hemidesmus Indicus) etc.
Lifestyle measures and diet plan that needs to be followed
Consume plenty of green vegetables and fruits, avoid consuming extra salt and keep distance from the junk food. Take plenty of rest and include raisins, poppy seeds, citrus fruits, vegetables and date in your diet.
Practicing a few relaxation techniques and avoiding pillow will help with better blood circulation to the brain.
Precautions that needs to be taken
When a patient is experiencing vertigo attack, he/she should not be allowed to move alone. The precaution should be taken while accessing staircase in lieu of the attack. The use of narcotic drugs, alcohols and tobacco should be strictly avoided. Try to restrict the patient’s diet to simple, light, spice free food stuffs. Do not allow the patient to operate any heavy machinery or to drive his/her car.
You may also like..
Disclaimer : Ayurveda treatment is hugely based on body type, hence physical check up is necessary by an experienced and qualified Ayurvedic doctor for proper medicine prescription.We strongly suggest that all kind of Ayurvedic medicines and/or herbs should be taken under supervision of a qualified Ayurvedic doctor only. Ayurvedic medicines and herbs are natural, hence have least side effects when taken in controlled dosages.But we suggest you not to take any chance by treating yourself to regret later.
Contents of this site should be used for reference purpose only.