People who look normal from outside can have diseases that outburst suddenly. One such disease whose symptom is generally not visible is Glaucoma.
DO you have a rich fatty diet or are you over 60 years old or do you have diabetes, high blood pressure, heart diseases, and hypothyroidism or have a family history with someone having Glaucoma?? BEWARE as it is this category of people who are at high risk to get Glaucoma.
Glaucoma is very well known as the silent thief as there are no symptoms until one day the sufferer notices a loss in peripheral vision or till a doctor notices it through an eye examination.
Glaucoma is the second biggest cause for blindness in the world. Glaucoma is a condition which is associated with group of eye diseases that damage your optic nerve and gets worse over time if not treated. It happens due to formation of high pressure inside eye.
Glaucoma has a tendency to be hereditary and might not show up at all. The high pressure that is called intra-ocular pressure can damage the optic nerve which is responsible for passing on images to brain. If the intra-ocular pressure continues to damage the optic nerve, Glaucoma will cause permanent blindness. Glaucoma has to be treated before severe damage to optic nerve happens or else within few years the person can lose his/her vision permanently.
Glaucoma has no early symptoms and so it is advisable to see a doctor for regular eye examination after age of 40 or if you have a family history of Glaucoma. People who have health issues like diabetes, heart disease are at high risk of Glaucoma. You will have to visit a doctor regularly to check if you have any symptoms of Glaucoma. The sooner you get to know, the faster you can get it treated.
Glaucoma can be categorized into two main types;
- Open angle Glaucoma – This is also called as Wide angle Glaucoma which is also the most common type. The eye appears normal, but the liquid in the eye does not flow properly through the edges of the eye called trabecular mesh work.
- Angle closure Glaucoma – This is also called Acute or chronic angle closure or narrow angle Glaucoma. This type is not common but it can cause sudden rise in intra ocular pressure. Drainage becomes poor as the angle between iris and cornea becomes tapered.
There are usually few symptoms of Glaucoma which usually goes unnoticed till late in the disease. The first sign of Glaucoma is loss in peripheral vision. Other symptoms pop up when the intra-ocular pressure increases in eye. These symptoms include unexpected eye pain, headache, hazy vision or the appearance of halos around light. Whenever you happen to notice these symptoms, go to a doctor for complete eye examination or you can follow some simple Ayurvedic home remedies for natural treatment.
Effective Ayurvedic home remedies for treatment of Glaucoma;
- Taking a diet that is rich in vitamins and minerals good for eyes provides good result. Food that contains more of citrus fruits, sprouts, guava, carrots, mangoes, pumpkin, papaya, Indian gooseberry, tomato, strawberry and bananas are highly recommended.
- Taking Triphala churna daily is very effective.
- Reduce the stress from your body by spending some time in meditation and yoga. The stress in your body plays a vital role in increasing the intra-ocular pressure on the optic nerve.
- Pound some almond kernels and peppercorn with water. Strain it and take it with some sugar candy.
- Take 20 mg each of extract of onion, honey and add 4 gm of camphor. Apply this paste on eyes daily.
- Mix equal quantity of fennel seeds and coriander and add some brown sugar loaf. Daily use 10 mg of this mix.
- Mix ginger and lemon extract with little of honey. Daily put one drop of this mix into eyes.
- For swelling in eyes, try to grind betel nut with water and apply it on eyes.
- Try to reduce the insulin level in your body. Try not to eat foods like pizzas – pastas, bread, rice, cereals, potatoes, etc.
At this point in time, loss of vision due to Glaucoma is permanent and cannot be restored. However, trying to lower eye pressure can help you from going blind. A regular exercise, proper diet and a stress-free life will definitely help you to achieve it.
You may also like..
Disclaimer : Ayurveda treatment is hugely based on body type, hence physical check up is necessary by an experienced and qualified Ayurvedic doctor for proper medicine prescription.We strongly suggest that all kind of Ayurvedic medicines and/or herbs should be taken under supervision of a qualified Ayurvedic doctor only. Ayurvedic medicines and herbs are natural, hence have least side effects when taken in controlled dosages.But we suggest you not to take any chance by treating yourself to regret later.
Contents of this site should be used for reference purpose only.