Temporary loss of memory is a common phenomenon with almost everyone. Like forgetting where we kept the key, name of a particular person. These can be normal for a person, as unless we give importance to a thing/name brain tend to keep it in a rather volatile area which gradually vanishes.
If these symptoms are prevalent one has to worry about it. There can be various reasons why a person faces memory loss/poor memory issues. Below are a few.
- Consumption of alcohol seems to have a great effect on brain’s poor performance. It is known that higher alcohol consumption kills brain cells, resulting in poor memory.
- If a person is too much stressed or under anxiety, forgetfulness become prevalent.
- If there is a tumor in the brain, it can cause memory loss and poor memory for the patient.
- If there was a head injury, it can lead to loss of memory.
- Deficiency of B1 and B12 vitamins can also lead to poor memory
- If the patient is suffering from Alzheimer’s disease, poor memory is very common.
- Drug consumption like LSD, marijuana, cocain etc. can lead to memory loss.
According to Ayurveda, memory is nothing but the healthy nerve cells in the brain which are of kapha nature. It is observed that most of the memory problems are because of the stagnation of kapha or aggravation of vata dosha.
Avoid any kind of highly fried food. Fast foods should be avoided. Avoid heavy meat.
There are few recommended foods and diet for the patient, which should be followed for quicker recovery from this condition.
- Sweet potato, tapioca and okra are found to be helpful in restoring memory. Spinach, which produces Pitta in the body can be a good food for the patient.
- Take fresh vegetables daily.
- Consumption of almonds, oranges, ghee and milk are known to be helpful for the poor memory condition.
- Add carrot and beet to patient’s daily food. Carotene, found in carrot is very helpful to treat poor memory condition. It also helps in enhancing pitta which is good for better memory. Juice of carrot and beet can be given daily to the patient.
- Fruit fast can be very useful to cleanse the whole system. Remember to consult a doctor to understand which fruits are good for your body type. Avoid fruit fast, if the patient tends to get hypoglycemia.
- Take lighter and easy digestible food during the treatment.
- Amla is known to be very helpful for the patient with poor memory.
- Brahmi is the most recommended herb in Ayurveda to treat poor memory. Take a teaspoonful Brahmi powder and boil it with milk for a few minutes. Add a pinch of saffron. Take this before going to bed everyday. This is proved to be helpful for ages.
- Brahmi ghee, can be taken daily before breakfast, for added benefits for the brain.
- Brahmi, jatamamsi, bhringaraj and shankhapushpi are well known for their benefits to treat poor memory. Take one teaspoonful of each and prepare tea. This is very helpful for the patient.
- Take 5-10 almonds daily.
- Take one teaspoonful of Aloe Vera gel, ¼ teaspoonful of bhringaraj powder with a pinch of pepper is beneficial when taken thrice a day.
- Ginkgo and gotu kola are found to be very beneficial for the brain activity as they help in better blood circulation.
- Mandukaparni (centella asiatica) is known to be a memory booster. Take a cup of the decoction of the whole plant, before going to bed daily for a month.
- Brahmi Vati is a recommended medicine is Ayurveda. 1 tab can be taken daily with milk after food.
- 1 tab of Brento can be taken twice daily after food.
- Take one teaspoonful of Brahmighrita twice daily.
- Take 1 tab of Mentat thrice daily.
General advices for good memory
- It is found that when we repeat things brain tend to remember for longer. Before going to bed, try to remember what all you did during the day one by from morning to night. This will also help in doing exercise of your brain, making it healthier.
- Try to develop a rhythmic approach to remember things. The way we learned to remember A-Z.
- Many times memory become inaccessible due to various reasons. Meditation can be a good way to link to such memory location which are unlinked by your memory.
- Make exercise part of your life. Walk daily for half an hour. Walking is found to be very helpful in keeping the body and mind healthy helping in a better memory.
- Yoga is another best way to improve memory power. Inverted pose, bow, cobra and savasan are found to be very helpful for a strong memory. Practice these yoga daily in the morning or evening on an empty stomach.
- Avoid toxic substance like alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, LSD, etc. These will give you temporary high. But the lows will be painful for your life. These can severely damage your brain function.
- Practice pranayama daily. It is very good to boost memory power.
- Do an Brahmi oil massage daily. Massage your feet and scalp with this oil.
- Apply few drops of nail-warm Brahmi ghee in the nose. This can help in improving memory.
You may also like..
Disclaimer : Ayurveda treatment is hugely based on body type, hence physical check up is necessary by an experienced and qualified Ayurvedic doctor for proper medicine prescription.We strongly suggest that all kind of Ayurvedic medicines and/or herbs should be taken under supervision of a qualified Ayurvedic doctor only. Ayurvedic medicines and herbs are natural, hence have least side effects when taken in controlled dosages.But we suggest you not to take any chance by treating yourself to regret later.
Contents of this site should be used for reference purpose only.