Having difficulty in passing stools? Is it 4-5 days that you had passed stools? Not feeling like eating, not feeling comfortable, feeling like there is lots of gas formation?
You have all symptoms of potty problem which is Constipation. Yes, Constipation is a condition which can cause a lot of trauma to an individual.
Constipation is related to bowel movements that are infrequent or irregular and difficult to pass. It is a very common problem in infants and some adults. Everyone goes through this painful phase at least once in their life time.
Constipation starts in the large intestine where metabolic waste is accumulated and is eliminated. Food that we take passes through the colon or large intestine where all water is absorbed while forming stool. The muscle contraction in the large intestine helps to push stool to the rectum. The stool that reaches the rectum is now dry, solid and hard as all water has been absorbed. This causes difficulty while passing motion.
It is recommended to pass stool once in the morning and once in the evening. This is more often required for vegetarians, as their food contains more of roughage content. People have adapted to a lifestyle where passing motion in the morning has been fixed. The most important fact is that everyone has to pass motion every day. Stool is not only the by-product of food, but the waste is also formed from the blood. These metabolic wastes have to be removed from the body as it can cause lots of discomfort in the abdomen. The wastes if not eliminated can cause problems like wind formation, heaviness, loss of appetite. It can also lead to other problems like headache, insomnia, and high blood pressure.
Constipation is also associated with some diseases like asthma, bronchitis, chronic cold, and tonsillitis. Once Constipation problem is solved the other diseases also look to disappear.
A weak digestive system, irregular eating habits, not drinking enough water or any other fluids, less fiber diet, no exercise, etc. are some common reasons that lead to Constipation. Heavy food like oily, fatty food is not easily digested and lead to undigested food. A lifestyle that involves eating very late in the night, in front of television is all reasons for Constipation. Apart from eating habits, some of the mental factors like stress, anxiety, jealousy, depression, fear, etc. can also lead to Constipation.
There are some simple home remedies that can help you deal with Constipation.
- It is recommended in Ayurveda to take Triphala churna daily. Take 1 or 2 teaspoons of Triphala churna mixed with 1 cup warm milk. Add honey or sugar for taste if required. Take this every night before bedtime.
- Take 20 gm Triphala churna and boil it in 16 times water in a vessel. Boil till the water reduces to 1/4th its content. Strain the water and drink it.
- You can also have Triphala chruna by soaking 1 teaspoon Triphala churna in 1 glass water overnight. Next morning strain the water and drink it. You can add honey to taste if required.
- Take equal quantities of dried ginger root, long pepper, black pepper, and black salt and grind them well to form a fine powder. Take 1 teaspoon of this powder with lukewarm water and 2-3 teaspoon psyllium husks every night before going to bed.
- Take equal quantities of celery seeds, cumin seeds, and asafetida. Grind them well to form a fine powder. Take 1/2 teaspoon of this powder 15 min before meals every day.
- Take 1 glass lukewarm water and add 1-2 teaspoon honey to it. Drink this 3-4 times a day.
- Take 1 glass lukewarm water and squeeze 1/2 lemon into it. Add 1 teaspoon salt to it and mix it well. Drink this every morning empty stomach.
- Take 1 glass warm water and add 1 tablespoon isabgol. Mix it well and drink it every night before going to bed.
- Take 1 glass warm water and add 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed powder. Mix them well and drink it every night before going to bed.
- Eat 1 or 2 oranges every night before going to bed.
- Take a handful of raisins and soak them in water overnight. Next morning, eat them empty stomach. It gives great relief from Constipation.
- Take some fresh figs and boil it in 1 glass of milk. Drink this warm mixture every night before going to bed. Figs are high in fiber and also a natural laxative.
- Eat flax seeds every morning along with your other cereals or eat a handful of flax seeds with water every morning. Flax seeds have high fiber content.
- Take 1 spoon castor oil and drink it every night before going to bed. If you cannot tolerate the taste, you can mix it with 1 glass warm milk and drink it.
- Drink 100 ml spinach juice mixed with equal quantity of water twice everyday.
- Take 2-3 sunflower seeds, few flax seeds, till or sesame seeds and almonds. Grind them well together to form a fine powder. Take 1 tablespoon of this powder everyday for a week. You can also mix this powder with other food and eat it every morning.
- Drinking at least 8 glasses of water every day is essential to the body. Try to drink warm water morning and at night before going to bed.
- Try to add jeera, haldi and ajwain for food that is being prepared. These are some condiments that help in digestion.
- Take some dates and soak it in milk. Pound them to form a paste and have it with milk for a week.
- Take 1 teaspoon ghee and mix it in 1 glass of hot milk. Drink this every night before going to bed.
- Take 1/2 cup of cabbage juice twice everyday.
- Avoid drinking tea, coffee or alcohol.
- Eat 1-2 fresh and ripe bananas every day.
- Prepare fresh ginger tea and drink it hot.
- Try to eat 2 apples with peel on an empty stomach.
- Take 1-2 fresh carrot and prepare the juice out of it. Drink this juice everyday.
Eating more of fresh fruits and vegetables, normal or simple exercise, drinking more of fluids or water, maintaining a proper timings for each meal and following it, eating light and easily digestible food, stress free and relaxed mind are some simple steps to avoid Constipation. You can also follow one of the above listed simple home remedies to successfully overcome Constipation.
You may also like..
Disclaimer : Ayurveda treatment is hugely based on body type, hence physical check up is necessary by an experienced and qualified Ayurvedic doctor for proper medicine prescription.We strongly suggest that all kind of Ayurvedic medicines and/or herbs should be taken under supervision of a qualified Ayurvedic doctor only. Ayurvedic medicines and herbs are natural, hence have least side effects when taken in controlled dosages.But we suggest you not to take any chance by treating yourself to regret later.
Contents of this site should be used for reference purpose only.