Ferula Foetida or Asafoetida also known as Hing in Hindi is one of the most commonly used spice in the Indian kitchen. It is basically dried resin of asafoetida plant and is available in small solid pieces. Hing is specially used to impart flavor to various Indian dishes like Tadka or Daal (pulse). In Tadka the spices are fried with along with Hing and oil or delicious taste. Hing is also one of the main ingredients of the pickle and imparts a strong smell to it. Due to its digestive properties it is also used in almost all vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes. Other than just acting as a flavor enhancer it also has health benefits.
Hing is quite useful in treating digestive disorder. Fried hing when taken with water helps in curing diarrhea. It also acts as digestive drug hence its application over the umbilical region helps in relieving gastric pain. Hing when mixed with Sonth and mulethi in same quantity and is taken with honey provides natural treatment for constipation.
Gargling with the boiled hing water gives instant relief from toothache. Hing is also useful in treating Epilepsy. Just boil the mixture of sendhanamak, Hing and about 10g of Ghee in 100 ml of milk. Boil the mixture until just ghee is left, then it can be used for treatment. For treatment of swollen glands, using ground hing with hot water proves to be very effective.
Other health benefits of hing:
- Tackles Indigestion: Hing has been used as a home remedy for indigestion. Anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant property of Hing gives relief from stomach upset, intestinal worms, intestinal gas, irritable bowel and flatulence.
- The anti-inflammatory property helps in offering quick relief from menstrual cramps, dysmenorrhea and irregular period.
- Hing with its unique property is also used to treat impotency in men. Just a pinch of this spice in food will help in preventing many sexual problems. If you drink a glass of warm water mixed with hing it will help in increasing your libido.
- With the respiratory stimulant properties it helps in relieving chest congestion and release phlegm. Using hing with honey and ginger also helps in getting quick relief from whopping cough, bronchitis and dry cough.
- It also helps in lowering your blood sugar levels. Just add hing into your food to experience its anti-diabetic properties. Hing also helps in stimulating the pancreatic cells that are responsible for the secretion of insulin, this decreases the blood sugar level.
- Hing also helps in curbing high blood pressure. It is packed with a compound call coumarins that helps in improving blood flow and prevent unwanted blood clotting. This spice also helps in lowering blood cholesterol and triglyceride from your body.
- Hing also works as wonder in relieving from pain from aching tooth, menstruation, headache and migraine. This herb is filled with powerfullantioxidents and pain relievers. To use it for relieving pain, mix a little pinch of powdered hing into a glass of warm water and drink it. This act as an instant reliever of pain. For tooth ache make a thick paste of hing and lemon juice and apply on the affected area.
- The powerful anti-oxidant property in hing also provides protection against cancer when taken on a regular basis. The anti-carcinogenic property of Hing also plays a significant role in restricting the growth of the malignant cells, therefore protecting the healthy cells against cancer.
- Hing also provides relief from any skin ailments. Due to its anti-inflammatory properties it is also found in many skin care products. It also acts as a home remedy for treating calluses and corns. This spice offers a cool effect on the skin and it also inhibits the growth of bacteria responsible for the ailment.
How to use hing for reaping maximum benefit?
- Add about a half teaspoonful of hing powder in a glass of warm water. Consuming this solution in empty stomach provides most benefit.
- You can also add 2-3 pieces of hing in buttermilk and consume it.
- The best way to use the spice is to add it while cooking, it will impart its unique flavor to the food item as well as the health benefits.
You may also like..
Disclaimer : Ayurveda treatment is hugely based on body type, hence physical check up is necessary by an experienced and qualified Ayurvedic doctor for proper medicine prescription.We strongly suggest that all kind of Ayurvedic medicines and/or herbs should be taken under supervision of a qualified Ayurvedic doctor only. Ayurvedic medicines and herbs are natural, hence have least side effects when taken in controlled dosages.But we suggest you not to take any chance by treating yourself to regret later.
Contents of this site should be used for reference purpose only.