Cardamom is one of the most commonly used item in the kitchen. It is mainly used in avoiding bad breath and imparting delicious flavor to the food. Cardamom due to its unique essence is used in food and drinks for imparting unique fragrance and flavor. Cardamom seeds and pods from the plant are used in various home remedies. Cardamom originally originated in India, Bhutan and Nepal but today it can be found in most tropical places in Asia like India, China, Bhutan, Malaysia, Japan, Korea and Vietnam. It is also sometimes regarded as Queen of all spices as it is one of the most expensive spices, just on the third spot after saffron and vanilla.
Cardamom is available mainly in three different varieties, these are Madagascar cardamom, Black cardamom and green cardamom. Cardamom is mostly known as “Chhoti Elaichi” in Hindi in Indian homes. In this post we will be discussing the health benefits of consuming cardamom.
Nutritional content of Cardamom
According to US department of Agriculture and US government’s Nutrient Database for Standard reference states that each 100 g of cardamom contains about 300 kcal of energy, 68 g carbohydrate, 11 g protein, 28 g fiber and 0 g Cholesterol.
Cardamom is also rich in various vitamins like Vitamin A, Vitamin C, etc. it is also quite rich in micronutrients like pyridoxine, riboflavin, niacin, potassium, thiamine, copper, manganese, iron, calcium, magnesium zinc and phosphorous.
Health benefits of consuming cardamom
The health benefits of cardamom include cholesterol control, cancer control, gastrointestinal protection, cardiovascular issue relief and improvement of the blood circulation. It is also quite useful in treating dental diseases and problems in urinary tracts such as nephritis, gonorrhea and cystitis. It also holds aphrodisiac properties and is also used in treating erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation and impotency.
Cardamom is quite useful for health, let us discuss a few ways by which it can be used effectively.
- If you are suffering from burning sensation while urination then you can use a blend of cardamom and amla powder in equal amount twice a day. This mixture will act as a remedy against burning sensation.
- For nocturnal emission you can use the mixture or cardamom, Amla and Isbgol. You use this mixture twice a day, i.e. in the morning and in the evening with cold water. This mixture is quite helpful in curbing nocturnal emission.
- Cardamom is also quite useful in treating mouth ulcers. Make powder of the cardamom and mix the powder with the honey. Lick this mixture occasionally to get rid of mouth ulcers.
- Cardamom is also quite helpful in the treatment of fever. You can boil a few cardamom seeds, fruit of Bilva (Aegles marmelos), Punarnava (spreading hog weed) and milk along with water. Boil the mixture until all the water evaporates and the only milk solution is left behind. Using this solution will help you in getting relief from fever.a
- Cardamom is also known to possess digestive properties. Consuming cardamom after meals helps in improving digestion.
- If you are facing some cough problems, then cardamom can help you in getting good relief. Roast cardamom and prepare powder. Now mix this powder with natural honey and use it for getting relief from cough.
- Cardamom is also quite useful if you are facing sperm discharge in urine. Take about 2 grams of Hing (Asafoetida) and cardamom powder and mix them with Ghee (clarified butter). Use this mixture daily to witness the improvement.
- Cardamom tea also offers several health benefits and can be used just like a normal tea. You can start using cardamom tea instead of normal tea to witness its benefits. Cardamom tea offers freshness and cure any headache. It is also quite effective in treating skin disorders. You can easily blend cardamom tea into your daily routine to see the effects.
- If your kid is suffering from hiccups and you have tried to do everything to stop it then you should try using cardamom. Take some pods of cardamom and boil them in water. Consuming this water will help in getting rid of hiccups.
- Cardamom has also been used in Ayurveda and in Chinese medicines as an effective ingredient to treat dental problems.
You can easily apply these home remedies using cardamom in your day to day life and can treat many common diseases by using this herb.
You may also like..
Disclaimer : Ayurveda treatment is hugely based on body type, hence physical check up is necessary by an experienced and qualified Ayurvedic doctor for proper medicine prescription.We strongly suggest that all kind of Ayurvedic medicines and/or herbs should be taken under supervision of a qualified Ayurvedic doctor only. Ayurvedic medicines and herbs are natural, hence have least side effects when taken in controlled dosages.But we suggest you not to take any chance by treating yourself to regret later.
Contents of this site should be used for reference purpose only.