Would you believe if someone says a seed can be rich source of micro nutrients, omega-3 fatty acids, dietary fibre, minerals and vitamins?
Still wondering? I am talking about Flax seeds or linseeds.
Flax seeds are generally known for its good quality fat, natural high fibre content and anti oxidant quality. They are rich in lignans, fibre and Omega-3 fatty acids.
Flax seeds are grown all over the world and so it comes in different varieties. You can extract the oil from seed and also fibre from its stem. Faber that is extracted is used to make threads for linen cloth. The Flax seeds oil contains essential fatty acids beneficial for good health.
Flax seeds are very low in carbohydrates making it an ideal choice for those individuals with limited consumption of starches and sugars. The healthy fat and high fibre content makes Flax seeds an excellent food for weight loss and maintains body weight.
Ayurveda uses Flax seeds for many of its preparations as it contains therapeutic properties. Flax seeds are known for hot, pungent, heavy, purgative and strengthening qualities.
Few Health Benefits of Flax seeds;
- Protection against prostate, colon and breast cancers. Flax seeds prevent the growth of cancer cells. The lignin content in Flax seeds has anti angiogenic property that stops tumors from forming new blood vessels.
- Helps in lowering cholesterol
- Consumption of Flax seeds daily can help improve glycemic control in obese men/women with pre diabetes.
- Antioxidant and anti inflammatory properties help protection against radiation.
- Consumption of Flax seeds oil resulted in lowering hypertension.
- Flax seeds can act as antidepressant.
- Lignan content helps to reduce the risk of liver diseases.
- Omega-3 fatty acids offer protection against heart diseases.
- Essential fatty acids help in the transmission of nervous impulses thus preventing Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s diseases.
- Helps in speedy recovery of skin lesions and very effective for acne, psoriasis, eczema or sun burn.
- Supports healthy hair and nails.
- The Flax seeds oil is useful for infertility, impotence, menstrual cramps, endometriosis and menstrual problems in women.
- Crushed Flax seeds contain high fibre which is effective for constipation.
Flax seeds are also used in bread and for preparing cakes. In Ayurveda there is a purgation therapy known as Virechana in which Flax seeds along with other herbs play an important role. Virechana helps in cleaning the sweat glands, colon, kidney, small intestine, liver, stomach and spleen.
Simple and Effective Home Remedies with Flax seeds for good health;
- To reduce blood sugar or cholesterol, take 1 tablespoon of ground Flax seeds mixed with 5-10 ounces of water. This controls hunger between meals and also in blood sugar level.
- Hot poultice of Flax seeds helps in treatment of eczema and other skin problems.
- Pound Flax seeds in cold water and apply the paste on forehead for relief from headaches.
- Pound Flax seeds and apply the paste on area infected by insect bite for relief.
- Pound Flax seeds and apply the paste around eyes for redness in eyes.
- Pound Flax seeds with isagbol and apply on painful joint for instant relief.
- Poultice of Flax seeds oil is beneficial for arthritis.
There is no set dose for Flax seeds defined. To get the maximum benefits of Flax seeds, you should pound them and then eat it. They can also be mixed with other liquid or food such as muffins, cakes or bread.
You may also like..
Disclaimer : Ayurveda treatment is hugely based on body type, hence physical check up is necessary by an experienced and qualified Ayurvedic doctor for proper medicine prescription.We strongly suggest that all kind of Ayurvedic medicines and/or herbs should be taken under supervision of a qualified Ayurvedic doctor only. Ayurvedic medicines and herbs are natural, hence have least side effects when taken in controlled dosages.But we suggest you not to take any chance by treating yourself to regret later.
Contents of this site should be used for reference purpose only.