The liver is the primary organ through which body expels toxins from the system. The liver performs many important functions in the body. It is responsible for bile production necessary for the breakdown and assimilation of fats and proteins. When the liver is affected due to stress and is unable to flush out toxins functioning of the whole body may be compromised. Hence it becomes extremely important to take a well balanced nutritious diet.
- Go Green!
Eat plenty of fresh green leafy vegetables. Green leafy vegetables that contain plant chlorophylls that effectively eliminates environmental toxins from the blood. Vegetables like bitter gourd, dandelion greens, arugula, mustard greens, and chicory have cleansing compounds and help to neutralize heavy metals. Eating vegetables aids the flow of bile and helps to remove herbicides and pesticides from the body. Cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, and cabbage can increase glucosinolatein the body, promotes enzyme production and helps to flush out carcinogens from the system. Brussel sprouts have glucosinolate and sulfur, which aid in the release of enzymes by the liver and prevents damage from dietary toxins and environmental factors.
- Eat plenty of fresh fruits like apples, avocados, grapefruit and lemons. Grapefruit consists of antioxidants and natural vitamin C. It also has compounds that helps to produce detoxification enzymes of the liver. The presence of flavonoid known as naringenin causes liver to burn fat instead of storing it. Avocados are rich in glutathione-producing compounds that guards against toxin overload and repair a damaged liver. As rightly said “ An apple a day keeps doctors a day “ apple contain a high amount of pectin that aids the release of toxins from the digestive tract.
- Drink fresh water and juices whenever possible. Use a water filtration system to remove chlorine and carbon particles before drinking it. You may add the juice of a lemon to add more alkalizing and cleansing properties to the water. There are plenty of minerals and Vitamin C in lemon and citrus fruits that boost bodily functions and helps in the cleansing process. Starting the day with a glassful of hot water mixed with lemon juice is also a good alternative. Other healthy options to drinking water can be drinking herbal tea that is free from caffeine, coconut water and freshly squeezed juices.
- Avoid Alcohol Apart from diet simple lifestyle changes like avoiding alcohol, drinking plenty of water, eating the best possible foods and eating the right fats and taking smart supplements can also help in the detoxification of the liver. Many believe that red wine is good for the heart, but it is an established fact that alcohol is a toxin. The liver uses large amounts of energy to eliminate alcohol so that it can purify the blood.
- Change your recipes: It is important to take care of the kinds of fats you include in your diet. Choose from healthy fats such as almonds, coconut, almonds, walnuts, hemp, flax, Chia, and along with sunflower and pumpkin seeds, avocado and olives. Choose the right supplements those with selenium and B vitamins. Artichoke leaf and milk thistle are also used in supplements that are effective liver cleansers.
- Go organic: Organic foods are easily available nowadays in super stores, always prefer organic foods where ever possible. Add Coriander and Ginger to your food. They help in cleansing the system, are powerful antioxidants and regulate immunity.
- Herbs help: Use these safe herbs to cleanse your liver.
- Phyllanthus (Hindi Name : Bhumi amla) – This is a small plant which can be grown easily in small pots. When the plant is matured, uproot it and shade dry. Use a small quantity while cooking.
- Licorice (Hindi name: Mulathi) This is commonly available in Indian herbal shops. It is sweet in taste. Take a small piece of Licorice and break it into two. Dip it in 2 glasses of water and leave it overnight. Filter this water in the morning and drink empty stomach. This not only cleanse the liver, but also reduce symptoms of upper respiratory tract allergies.
- Curry Leaves (Hindi Name: Kadi Patta): Must use ingredient of many dishes in South India and gaining popularity in the world over, this is easily found in all over India. It has a characteristic flavor which makes it special to add in various dishes especially Sambhar. It is easily available in Indian Shops. It not only detox liver, but also is used in many skin diseases. Very useful in controlling blood sugar levels. Latest research shows, it is effective in weight loss also