There are two types of eye disorders.
The organic defects such as cataract, glaucoma, and other disorders of this nature have to be treated by eye specialist. But, on the other hand the inorganic defects like eye strains, eye pain, diminishing vision power, near and far sightedness, watering of the eyes, itching in the region of the eyes, blurring of the vision, redness on one or both of the eyes are mainly owing to faulty diet and certain undesirable habits. These types of defects can be cured if one will be conscious of healthy living.
Many have habits of eating mostly fried, highly spiced and seasoned food. Some develop the habit of drinking excessive coffee, tea or hard liquor, smoking excessively, lack of rest or sleep and undue straining of the eyes, which leads to eye defects.
- Those who can afford but in the habit of eating only a particular type of food, which causes malnutrition.
- Those who cannot afford to eat a balanced diet as they are financially weak.
- Those who suffer from certain identified undesirable habits.
A patient suffering from any disorder of the visionary power needs to pay special attention to diet and correcting certain habits.
Patient shouldn’t eat fully fried roasted food, which is hard to digest. Foods like meat, chicken, highly seasoned or spicy food, pickle, red pepper shouldn’t be eaten. Tea coffee tobacco in any form and smoking should be stopped.
What to eat:
Their diet should be a balanced one, depending more on making efforts than on spending money. The diet should include salads, green vegetables, leafy vegetables, and fruits of any kind. They should take their food according to the diet chart given below.
Breakfast (7 am -9 am):
- Any fruit juice or fruit –1cup or one.
- Fresh apple or any fresh fruit –one
- Wheat bread with green vegetables –as desired.
- Germinated gram –¼ cup.
- Milk –1 cup to 1 glass.
Lunch and Dinner (12 pm – 2 pm, 6 pm – 8 pm)
- Salad (The mixture of tomato, cucumber, radish, cabbage, carrot, etc.) with tiny salt and lemon juice–1 cup.
- Vegetable soup — 1 cup.
- Wheat bread(chapatti)– as desired.
- Pulse (Moong, Masoor, chana and green peas) as desired.
- Leafy vegetables.
- Green vegetables- -as desired
- Fish or lamb liver (For non-vegetarian) –on alternate days.
Afternoon refreshment (3pm-5pm):
- Fresh food of any type –as desired.
- Salted Biscuit – as desired.
- Milk- 1 cup to 1glass (Preferably with a cup of food supplement like Horlicks /Bourn Vita etc.)
The daily diet should be mainly salad, fresh fruit and green vegetables. Special attention should be paid according to the principle given below while eating.
Principles of eating:
- One should eat slowly after chewing the food properly.
- To eat dinner at least two hours before sleeping time at night.
- Always eat a little less than you need.
- Avoid drinking as far as possible at the time of eating.
- Preferably drink water after an hour of eating.
- Drink 10-15(around 3 liters) glasses of water a day.