Phlegm is often accompanied by cold or any other respiratory disease/infection. It is itself not a serious health issue, but if not treated on time it may coagulate and irritate the bronchial tubes.
Phlegm contains virus, bacteria or inflammatory cells that are produced by the body in response to the infection. In addition of the infections like flu, bronchitis and the common cold, it can also be caused by some allergic reaction to certain irritants like asthma, damaged vocal cords and too much smoking.
Treating phlegm can be quite frustrating and never ending. But there are certain ingredients in your home that can help in treatment without causing any side effects.
Inhaling steam is one of the best and simple way to get rid of phlegm. Inhaling steam helps in retaining the liquid form of the phlegm and thus it becomes easier to eliminate.
- Take a steam shower daily. You can turn on your shower at max heat setting in a closed bathroom for about 10 min. This will help in breaking mucus. After the steam shower keeps moisturizer at bay as warm water degrade moisture and essential oils.
- You can also pour hot boiling water in a large bowl and hold a towel over your head. Now inhale the steam for 5 to 10 minutes. This will help in loosening the mucus coagulation in your lung. You can use this remedy several times a day.
- Salt water
Doing gargling with the warm salt water is another easy way to treat phlegm. While the warm water helps in providing relief from sore throat at the same time salt helps in destroying bacteria that are causing infection and hence helps in reduction of phlegm.
- Mix about one fourth teaspoonful of salt in a glass of warm water
- Use the solution for gargling
- Repeat this remedy several times a day
Ginger has unique properties that make it natural decongestant and hence is quite effective against sore throat and respiratory related infections. Also the anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties of ginger also helps in relieving congestion from throat and chest to facilitate easy breathing.
- Add about one teaspoonful of sliced or grated ginger in a cup of boiling water. Let the ginger boil for a few minutes and then add 2 teaspoonful of honey. You can consume this ginger tea several times a day for better results.
- Alternatively, you can also chew raw ginger or add it to the different dishes.
- Lemon Juice
Lemon is a great ingredient which helps in loosening phlegm and mucus. In addition to this the anti-bacterial property and high vitamin C concentration helps in improving body’s resistance against infections.
- Add about 2 teaspoonful of lemon juice and a teaspoonful of honey to a glass of hot water. Consume this mixture thrice a day to get relief from sore throat and in reducing phlegm.
- Alternatively, you can also cut a slice of lemon, put a pinch of salt and pepper on it. Then you can directly suck the lemon slice. It will help in pushing the phlegm out of your body. This remedy can be used twice or thrice a day.
Turmeric is known for its strong anti-septic properties and helps in reducing phlegm by eliminating bacteria that causes mucus. Also, it helps in strengthening the immune system.
- Add a teaspoonful of turmeric to a glass of hot milk and drink the mixture in the morning and before going to bed. This helps in clearing your throat and strengthening your immune system.
- Mix a teaspoon of turmeric and a pinch of salt in hot water. Take this mixture and gargle several times a day for relief.
- You can also consume a glass of hot water mixed with 1 ½ teaspoonful of turmeric powder.
- Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper helps the body in releasing mucus coagulation in the nasal area. It’s warm and stimulating nature also helps in reduction of chest pain and helps in soothing sore throat.
- Mix following ingredients together; 1/4th teaspoonful of cayenne pepper, grated ginger, a teaspoon of honey, apple cider vinegar along with 2 teaspoons of water. You can drink this mixture twice or thrice a day to combat phlegm.
Honey has unique anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties which make it one of the best home remedy for sore throat and cough. It also has antiseptic properties that helps in strengthening the immune system and thus wards off infections.
- Add about a pinch of black or white pepper in a teaspoon of honey. Pepper helps in treating sore throat while honey helps in soothing the mucus membrane. Consume this mixture twice a day for about a week.
- Add a teaspoonful of honey in warm water and drink this mixture several times a day. This will provide medicinal benefits from the honey and hot water will act upon mucus to thin it.
Carrots are quite effective in the treatment of phlegm and other conditions. Carrots are a rich source of vitamin C which is a powerful antioxidant that helps in boosting immune system. It also helps in building resistance to several infections. Carrots are also rich in several nutrients and vitamins that helps in reducing cough symptoms and phlegm.
- Extract juice from fresh carrots
- Add a little water to dilute the juice. Then add about 2 teaspoonful of honey and mix the solution.
- You can consume this mixture throughout the day to get relief from phlegm and sore throat.
Onion has an excellent anti-inflammatory, anti-biotic and expectorant properties that helps in relieving your throat and getting rid of phlegm. Also, it helps in boosting the immune system and helps in accelerating the healing process. You can make your own home made tonic with onion and sugar to thin your phlegm making it easier to expel.
- Finely chop a small onion
- Keep the chopped onion with two teaspoonful of sugar and keep it side for about half an hour. The mixture will develop a little fluid texture.
- Consume a tablespoon of this tonic every 2 to 3 hours.
- Drink Peppermint tea
Other than providing relief to the sore throat and additional moisture some additional herb may give extra benefits to your phlegm issue.
- Add peppermint to warm tea
- Peppermint contains menthol, which is quite effective against sinus blockage
- It can be used to treat unnecessary body fluid and other respiratory conditions.
There are a few points that should be kept in mind while using peppermint like it should not be directly taken into mount or should be given to newborn or little children.
You may also like..
Disclaimer : Ayurveda treatment is hugely based on body type, hence physical check up is necessary by an experienced and qualified Ayurvedic doctor for proper medicine prescription.We strongly suggest that all kind of Ayurvedic medicines and/or herbs should be taken under supervision of a qualified Ayurvedic doctor only. Ayurvedic medicines and herbs are natural, hence have least side effects when taken in controlled dosages.But we suggest you not to take any chance by treating yourself to regret later.
Contents of this site should be used for reference purpose only.