Do you often feel like your muscles are getting stiffened? Do you have very vivid mood swings, vomiting, drooling or memory loss?
If your answer to any of the above is YES, then you have Epilepsy!
Epilepsy is associated with a group of neurological disorders or brain disorder portrayed by epileptic seizures. Brain sends electrical impulses which control muscle movement. In Epilepsy, excessive electrical impulses are sent from the brain, leading to seizures. The seizures can be of different types like mood swings, memory loss, slow body functions, unconsciousness, mild or severe shaking of arms and legs, accidental urination, etc.
Epilepsy can be really dangerous at times and it can affect people of all ages. It is still not possible to exactly define the cause for Epilepsy. Some people develop it due to injury in brain, stroke, brain tumor, drug and alcohol misuse.
The seizures in Epilepsy are due to too much and abnormal cortical nerve cell activity in the brain. These seizures can be controlled through medication in most of the cases. In others through surgery, neurostimulation or changes in diet can treat epileptic seizures. Epilepsy in most cases is not lifelong and can be treated through medication.
Sometimes there are seizures due to temporary problems like high fever, brain infection or a drowsy condition. Not all seizures are due to Epilepsy, so it becomes very important to judge the difference between temporary seizures with recurrent seizures that are part of Epilepsy.
Epilepsy can cause severe damage to a person due to sudden seizures, it can affect relationships, work, driving and many other things that are carried out in day to day life.
It is very important to understand why, when or what can trigger a seizure. Trying to find out the reason that can trigger seizure can help you in being prepared for the situation. It does not have to be very precise, but keeping a list of things that can trigger you is always beneficial.
Some people observe that their seizures triggers at a specific time of the day or night, doing too much work or overtired, flashing bright lights, excess alcohol or drug intake, too much stress, hormonal changes, low blood sugar due to skipping of a meal or eating less, particular food, etc.
There are some simple home remedies that can help you with Epilepsy.
- Epsom salt has magnesium content and this is very helpful in controlling the electrical impulses in the brain. Magnesium also reduces the risk of seizures. Hence, try to include Epsom salt in your everyday diet.
- Low level of sodium in the body can cause brain cells to swell and leading to seizure. It is beneficial to drink plenty of fresh fruit juices and water.
- Take 1 bowl of crushed ash gourd and squeeze its juice. To this juice, add licorice powder to it. Mix this well and drink it once every day.
- Drinking 1 glass of milk every day is very effective.
- Take 100 ml each of milk and water in a vessel. Allow this to boil for 10-15 min. Now add a few crushed garlic cloves to it. Drink this once every day for effective result.
- Take 1 teaspoon Brahmi juice or powder of the root of Vacha or both together. Mix this with honey and drink it twice or thrice daily.
- Take 1 gm garlic paste with 5 ml til oil every alternate day.
- Take 3-6 gms of the powdered root of Mulathi mixed with 1/2 cup of ash gourd juice everyday.
- Massage head and souls of feet with Brahmi amla oil or sesame oil.
- Take 30 ml saraswatarista after meals 2 times a day.
- Take 100 mg apasmarantaka rasa with honey 2 times a day.
- Take 1 gm each of vacha Churna, jatamansi Churna and 100 gm of smritisagara rasa with honey twice daily.
- Take 10 gm mahakalyanaka ghrita with sugar and cow’s milk 2 times daily.
- It is advised to have cold bath daily and a light exercise.
- Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Light and easily digested food should be taken.
- Try to maintain smooth and regular bowel movements. You can take 3/4 teaspoon Triphala churna with warm water every night before going to bed.
- Take some fresh Brahmi leaves and chew them daily. After chewing, try drinking 1 glass of milk.
- Ayurvedic Panchakarma treatments like Virechan, nasya, and Basti if performed with the right ingredients can bring faster recovery.
Maintaining a proper diet is very essential. Avoid eating oily, spicy food, drink plenty of water or fresh fruit juices. Green leafy vegetables are very good. Cut down on caffeine, alcohol or drug intake. A peaceful and happy mind can avoid the risk of Epilepsy so avoid worrying or taking stress. To help the speedy recovery from Epilepsy requires moral support from family to encourage affected individual, especially during mood swings or memory loss. Include more of cow’s milk, cow’s ghee, grapes, fig, drum stick, wheat, green gram soup, pomegranate, gooseberries, etc. in your everyday diet. Along with these simple tips, try to follow any of the above listed home remedies for treating Epilepsy.
You may also like..
Disclaimer : Ayurveda treatment is hugely based on body type, hence physical check up is necessary by an experienced and qualified Ayurvedic doctor for proper medicine prescription.We strongly suggest that all kind of Ayurvedic medicines and/or herbs should be taken under supervision of a qualified Ayurvedic doctor only. Ayurvedic medicines and herbs are natural, hence have least side effects when taken in controlled dosages.But we suggest you not to take any chance by treating yourself to regret later.
Contents of this site should be used for reference purpose only.